Pages

Friday, 16 May 2014

DIY_Knitted Headwrap

I always start knitting and crocheting again when the cold weather starts to set in. I'd like to do it all year round but I find the onset of cold weather really motivates me to work with yarn. I've been looking through craftgawker for cute head wrap/ear warmer ideas and I really liked the look of braided and twisted ones so I decided to make one myself.


(Please excuse the quality of the photos, they were taken on my phone and I was in a hurry)

I decided to use 2 strands of 8ply acrylic as I wanted a thick knit and only had 5mm needles available. I chose a sky blue and a lavender but any combo of colours would work. To start I casted on 11 stitches then worked in stocking stitch until the length fit around my head. I then casted off and repeated this 2 more times. As stocking stitch has a tendency to curl on itself I ended up with 3 rope like lengths which I braided together and pinned at the ends. I pinned and sewed each end individually so that the braid flowed seamlessly around my head.


I'm really happy with the result. Next time I could definitely get away with only using one strand of yarn if I wanted a less chunky look. I did lose some length when I braided the lengths together so it does fit snugly on my head but I would prefer that than being too loose. I wore it to Mr.'s football game tonight and while it wasn't really cold, it managed to keep my head warm. I'd be interested to see how it went on a really cold day/night.

I really want to try a twisted style next, at this rate my ears will stay toasty all winter!

Amy xx



No comments:

Post a Comment